Acclaim I used to own.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Acclaim I used to own.

Post  Kernel on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Acclaim I used to own. Only thing I own now is a Sundance.

Very Happy
Kernel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Acclaim I used to own.

Post  Charlie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:46 pm

I used to have a 94 Acclaim with the 2.5 liter four. It was a great car!! Had 212,000 miles on it when I sold it for twelve hundred bucks. Just recently got a 94 Spirit with the same drivetrain. It only has 95,000 miles on it and I swapped a 93 Geo Prizm for it with 267,000 miles on it. This one needed alternatro brushes, and a battery and EGR valve. Runs like a champ now.

Charlie

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Kernel on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 pm

This one had a 3.0l V6. Pretty nice car,wished I could have fixed it and kept it. Very Happy
Kernel

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am

I've got a 1994 Dodge Spirit right now with the 2.5 and three speed auto. Got tilt, p/s, p/b. cruise and am/fm/cd. It just rolled 95,000 miles the other day. I plan on putting a new timing belt and water pump on it when it hits 100,000 miles. Not getting very good mileage like my Acclaim did, and I don't know why. I've replaced the fuel filter, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor along with a new egr valve. Only getting about 21 miles per gallon and it should do better. Any suggestions?

Charlie

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Kernel on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:37 am

Might check and see if the cat is stopped up. That can cause poor millage along with bad o2 sensors. And they don't always show up in the codes either. If the timing belt is stretched and changing the cam timing that wont help millage either. Those are not too hard to change on the 2.5. IT was a royal pain to do the one on my Acclaim with the 3.0 V6. The water pump was leaking and it's run by the timing belt so I replaced both while it was down. Very Happy
Kernel

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm

I hear you on the 3.0 being a pain in the rear. I had a Diamante with the 3.0 SOHC and put one on it. I didn't change the crank seal while I was in there and had to go back in two months later and do it all over again. I also replaced the water pump while I was at it. BIG pain in the butt.

chuzz

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Joe on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Glad I've only had the 2.2's if the 3.0 has been that much of a PITA!
Big Joe

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 am

They can be, but some of them are good engines too. Make sure you don't get an early version. When they first came out they were bad about burning oil. It would get past the seal and valve guides. Only fix was to pull the heads, put in new guides and seals to stop the oil burning. All of them are pain to get the water pump and timing belt fixed on them. It's not so much the work, but the space and design involved. You don't have enough room between the strut tower and the front of the engine. And it has what I'll call a motor plate on the front that has these long built in spacers and it's hard to get that to slide off the front when there's no room around the strut tower. You have to do a lot of jacking the engine up and letting it back down to do stuff around that tower. No

Check out our club at www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Click here and check out this free game I am playing. http://s11.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=91121
dwc43

Male
Number of posts : 770

http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Joe on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:32 am

You're making me even happier that I only had 2.2's here David Laughing
Big Joe

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 am

Well, it might not be so bad if there was room to work on the dang things. In a can you have lots more room than the cars, but the fenders are higher and hard to lean over without standing on something. Nothing wrong with a 2.2 for sure. You can do al ot of things to them on the cheap to get some real power out of them. Very Happy

Click here and check out this free game I am playing. http://s11.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=91121
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Heh, last tank of gas I used and now am up to 25 mpg. I guess not tromping on it at every red light is staring to pay off. For a 2.5 though, it does have a pretty decent launch. Laughing

chuzz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Yeah, keepin your foot out of it would help. Laughing

dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidTransitTracy on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 am

I'm not a fan of the 3.0's either. Have yet to see a very dependable one. I'll gladly stick to anything that has the 2.2/2.5 turbo instead. Heck even the non turbo 4's!!

But I'm a turbo fan and not sure I could handle a 2.2 without one for too long unless it's a stick car.

The 3.0's stock made 175 hp and something like 195-200 lb. ft. of torque. The turbo II's made 174 hp and about the same torque. The Turbo III's made 224 hp and 217 lb. ft. of torque!!! (Spirit R/T's and Daytona IROC R/T's) I drove an '87 Daytona with the T-II and was very impressed with the scoot it had. But when I got my Iroc R/T, I was simply awed!! These were the SRT-4's BEFORE the SRT-4's existed. I love it and will not give it up!! They are awesome!!(but I digress.....I'm getting off topic here).

The 3.0's I run across always seem to have problems burning oil, mainly due to worn valve guides. (like dwc43 says) Mileage seemed to vary greatly, and some had unreasonably low mileage for this condition. The only 3.0's I cared for were in the Stealths, but they were NOT the same animals as the "regular" 3.0's, as some will try to tell you they are.

Transplant a twin turbo Stealth engine in place of that stocker and WEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (just a thought!! Laughing )I have LOTS of them!!! ( I'm GREAT at helping other people spend THEIR money for them!!! LOL)
RapidTransitTracy

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-02-24

http://www.northwestohiocrawlers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am

I dunno, man. I had a 93 Diamante Wagon with the 3.0 in it. That sucker was wicked fast. I know it would do 130 mph. It had 150 on the speedo, but I didn't push it that far.

chuzz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum