Mopar Performance Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slant six cars

+2
dwc43
Charlie
6 posters

Go down

Slant six cars Empty Slant six cars

Post  Charlie Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 am

Okay, I'm new here and really don't know diddly squat about performance vehicles or how to set one up. I have owned several slant six Mopars over the years and still have a Haynes manual on the 67-76 Darts and Valiants. So if anyone needs basic information, I may be able to provide it. All you have to do is ask.

Charlie

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Slant six cars Empty Re: Slant six cars

Post  dwc43 Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm

I have not built one in a long while, but I know a lot about the little animals. So if you need some help, I'm here too. Very Happy

Last edited by dwc43 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
dwc43
dwc43

Male
Number of posts : 770

http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:43 pm

I just read a couple of days ago on another Mopar site that some dude is going to try to put a turbo on a slant six. I hope he keeps everyone posted on his progress, because I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

Charlie

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Charlie wrote:I just read a couple of days ago on another Mopar site that some dude is going to try to put a turbo on a slant six. I hope he keeps everyone posted on his progress, because I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

The main problem with trying to do this, is setting up some sort of fuel injection. Cost wayy to much compared to a decent built NA engine. Very Happy
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Slant six cars Empty Turbo

Post  OLD HEMI Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Afew yrs. ago my buddy put a complete turbo from a Buick Grand National on his Slant 6. I never saw it run bcause I transfered with my work.

Lee

OLD HEMI

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

Down under, it was common practice to put turbo chargers on them... really woke the six banger up! Something they did to aid in the strength of the bottom end was to machine a girdle out of either iron or aluminum (you use to be able to purchase these aftermarket down under), take it to your local auto machine shop, have it line bored and you had an incredibly strong six banger... like they weren't tough enough on their own...

cerres

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Carb for a turbo engine cost about a grand. FI wont cost too much more and will out do the carb for the money and performance. Waste of time trying to rig a carb to it. Don't believe it, try a '79 T/A V8 with a turbo and carb on it. A stock 2.2 5 spd could walk circles around it. Very Happy

Last edited by dwc43 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 pm

CSU850B
850cfm blow through carb
$1050.00

CSU850CFM
blow through carb w/
dual needle & seat bowls
$1550.00
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  PAIN Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Ba ha ha ha an 850 on a slant 6er. Goooooood one, good one.

PAIN

Male
Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm

It's not the size, it's the cost of a blow through carb. Very Happy
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  PAIN Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:10 am

Again, like I said, you can mod it yourself with ease.

PAIN

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 am

I'd like to see that since these are purpose built carbs, not modified stock off the shelf carbs. Laughing
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 am

PAIN wrote:Again, like I said, you can mod it yourself with ease.

How about showing us how it's done? I've got a buddy with a 72 Swinger slant 6 that's thinking about building it. Give us a little insight into what you're talking about. Wink

chuzz

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  PAIN Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 am

How about I start you on this?
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

PAIN

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Interesting read. I'll pass that info on to Mr. Werfel and see if he want to pursue that. He's considering just going with an Offenhauser four barrel intake and Carter AFB carb. Said he may consider a thermo quad if he can find one for a reasonable price.

chuzz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  dwc43 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:49 am

chuzz wrote:Interesting read. I'll pass that info on to Mr. Werfel and see if he want to pursue that. He's considering just going with an Offenhauser four barrel intake and Carter AFB carb. Said he may consider a thermo quad if he can find one for a reasonable price.

I don't think I'd pass that b.s. on. Blow through carbs are not modded stock off the shelf carbs. They are purpose built. A Tq would be a little big for a really built slant six. IT would be better to use a 430 4bbl or 500 2 bbl holley. Very Happy
dwc43
dwc43

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Who says you have to blow through a carburettor? Personally, I can tell you it's more of a pain in the butt than it's worth... you need to bump fuel pressures as Studebaker did with their Hawks, you need a sealed carburettor of which is the next pain... in the carb you need to pitch the copper/brass floats and go for synthetic foamers... easier way!

Slant 6 will take a beating... so... turbo the engine and mount the carburettor on top of the turbo.. it's incredibly safe, works everytime and you have the fortune of having the gas/air mixture brought to a true volatile mixture thereby making the engine truly homogenous... PERFECT! IT worked with the 2.3 in the Mustangs and Capri's... it's worked for me on a 79 F-250 with a 400 CID, it worked with a mid sixties 390 without a glitch...
Very easy to make a manifold for the engine to do the job.. intake and exhaust... little innovation, few dies manufactured from steel for shaping the ports and now a little gas welding... In so far as the intake manifold goes... all you need is a sheet of aluminum to make the .375 plate to the head, the rest is aluminum tubing cut and shaped with equal runners, get the Tig out and fun... now you can feed her.
My biggest concern would be with oil delivery to the turbo.. you may very well end up using a belt driven pump drawing oil from the pan... still, no biggie but another hurdle before you're out of the woods.
Next I'd contact the slant six hotrod guru's down under and order a bedplate girdle for the engine and stiffen it up a little more... Australian racers had every kink out of this engine... yeah, I know, the hemi six but none the less, contact them for the bedplate. ... if not, find a good machine shop and have one made!

All kidding aside, with all that room on one side of the engine, this would be a piece of cake to do... the turbo would mounted low thereby making it easy to feed and drain without so much as a whimper of an issue. The intake, actually would be fun... this would be a neat project............

cerres

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I spend too much time thinking about things... now there's this topic...
You could very well use half atmosphere boost, run it through an after-cooler and pipe it to the inlet manifold. Make a half dozen anti-reversion baffles, add them to the exhaust port of the head and you'd have a screaming little machine! And no fuel injection... just another pain no one needs... here I am a neophite but when it comes to complexity you have to draw a line somewhere... there's an adage...

The fancier you think up the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!

Last edited by cerres on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

cerres

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I can't believe this topic isn't being addressed... it'd be a great project, one which, when finished, would be the ultimate sleeper! You'd have enough stonk to make a 727 automatic work for a living! Don't let this one die..................................

cerres

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Dang, Bill, if I lived out in Tuscon, I'd be looking for a slant right now. Of course, I'd be dragging it over to your house so you could show me what needed to be done. Cool

chuzz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Charlie,
It might take a dozen or so cases of Corona, a few dozen late... i mean real late nights, bunch of weekends and a lot of swearing but what you'd have for an engine would be a runner a 4.6 stang wouldn't catch! Oh, I become so obcessed with some of these ideas.. they're neat and oh, can be done so cleverly....... hell, now i'm thinking about it! okay, who's got an old haf ton dodge with a 225 slant in it? I want it! oh, what a sleeper!

cerres

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  chuzz Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Hey Bill, I used to know an older man when I worked at Autozone in Nashville that had a 68 Dodge short bed pickup. It looked like hell, but had a 440 police interceptor engine with Nitrous hooked up to it. He had a blast with that thing punching out Stang, Camaro's and rice rockets. His name was Fred Clifford and he held a lot of 1/8 and 1/4 mile track records around here according to him. I never bothered to check. You might need to drink a twelve pack and give your mind a rest. Hell, I'm just struggling to pay bills and feed the kids right now. Spent over four hundred bucks on groceries today and no way they'll last all month. The economy really sucks now!!

chuzz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  cerres Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Charlie, it's hitting us too.......

cerres

Male