Mopar Performance Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wal-Mart emails contain virus.

Go down

Wal-Mart emails contain virus. Empty Wal-Mart emails contain virus.

Post  dwc43 Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Wal-Mart emails contain virus
Just for the record. Past few days, there's been a bunch of wally world spam in my spam folder. I'm guessing this must be real. Friend sent it to me in an e mail.

Wal-Mart emails contain virus
Atlanta GA Feb 2 2009

An innocent looking e-mail claiming to be a Wal-Mart “customer satisfaction survey” is not so innocent.
In fact, recipients should not open it or, at the least, don’t open the attachment, the North Alabama Better Business Bureau and Wal-Mart warn.

“I highly discourage anyone to open the attachment,” said Michelle McDaniel, the BBB’s president and CEO. “It’s a ploy to launch a virus or download Spyware to record keystrokes.”

McDaniel was not immune from the attempted scam and it’s not just sent to computers - she received the e-mail on her BlackBerry.
The e-mail begins, “Customer Satisfaction Survey. You have been chosen by Walmart to take part in our Customer Satisfaction Survey. If you decide to complete this survey, Walmart will send $150 to your confirmed Credit or Debit Card Account Just for your time.”
But the e-mail is not from Wal-Mart.

“We don’t participate in this type of promotion,” said Kelly Cheeseman, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart. She said a tip-off to the fraud is where the e-mail mentions the recipient’s credit or debit card account. “We don’t send unsolicited e-mails with attachments and don’t ask for personal information,” Cheeseman said from the company’s Bentonville , Ark. , office.

She said the company’s Web site - walmart.com - has instructions on how to handle suspicious e-mail.
“Click on ’security & privacy’ at the bottom of the home page under ‘About walmart.com,’ ” she said. “Then, click on ‘online security: phishing.’ “

The page has information on e-mail forgery, help identifying Wal-Mart “spoofs” and advice what you should do if you open a suspicious e-mail or visit a suspicious Web site.

“If anyone receives an e-mail claiming to be from Walmart.com that includes an attachment, we don’t want them to open it,” Cheeseman said.
dwc43
dwc43

Male
Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

Back to top Go down